The rock garden is situated on part of a former nine-hole golf course, which was laid out after the Dundee to Aberdeen railway was built more than a century ago. When the Esplanade was constructed in 1895, the course was established, on advice from golfer Tom Morris, with four holes west of Bridge Street - now the Rock Garden - and five holes to the east.

The garden was started in 1955 by clearing an area of volcanic rock which had at one time been the old shore line. Over the years, it was extended eastwards over areas which had been sand dunes, and rock from Carmylie Quarry was used to form a large part of the garden. There were originally five natural springs and the lowest pond is the site of one of these, the others having dried up in 1976. The lower ponds were created in 1982 and the upper ponds in 1985. They have separate water circulating systems.

Available Activities: 
Beach
Wildlife
Walking
Images: 
Barnhill Rock Gardens
Barnhill Rock Gardens
Barnhill Rock Gardens
Barnhill Rock Gardens
Barnhill Rock Gardens